After everything with Blogger and the possible changes in their adult content policy, I started to look at all options. Sir and I discussed self-hosting and it’s costs. He has been really supportive of my writing, so we started a search for various domains and web-hosting companies. I found a few that weren’t disgustingly expensive, but then I ran into other problems.
I found a site (which I won’t name, because they were great about the whole thing) that is used by a non-profit Sir works with. And their work is beautiful. I set up my account and got a 14-day trial to test out my site and design it how I liked. And the cost wasn’t prohibitive at all. So I began to tinker. My posts and photos imported without too much trouble. Finding a design and template were easy. I have some coding experience to help me through some of the bumps and I was happy with how the layout looked. I was ready to hand them money and start out fresh, away from blogger’s eventual tyranny. And then Sir had to go and make a good point.
“Do these guys have any policies about hosting adult content?” He asked it as if I already knew the answer. Of course, I am not just purchasing a domain name, I am paying this company to host and use their services. Crap.
I guess I just feel like if I can get settled into my own site now, it will be easier than trying to move a huge blog later on. And, this blog has posts from 2010 and 2011, which have nothing to do BDSM. I don’t really mind them, but I can imagine that it would be quite confusing to be reading about how Sir and I are trying to get pregnant with our first child and jump to two kids and kink. Plus, I whined a lot back then (I still whine, but I think I am better at wording it). And if blogger decides to ‘update’ its content policy in the future, I don’t know how much time I would have to move before things were deleted.
So, we will see what Sir and I can come up with. There is no time crunch as yet, but as I am looking to re-enter the work force and we are still figuring out if we should buy a house this year or next, I don’t want to be in the middle of a technical move at the same time as a literal one.